ASTM PBF-LB Machine Operator Certification
With Additive Manufacturing (AM) – scaling from prototyping to production of critical components – the need to verify the competency of machine operators is increasing. In response to the demand for a standardized approach to qualifying operators, ASTM International has developed a certification program that applies to personnel operating Powder Bed Fusion - Laser Beam (PBF-LB) systems.
As the leading metal AM technology provider with the largest machine install base, EOS has partnered with ASTM to launch this new program with initial application on the EOS M 290 platform. Upon successful completion of this program, operators will be certified in compliance with the safety and quality operating requirements in ‘ISO/ASTM 52942:2020 Additive manufacturing — Qualiﬁcation principles — Qualifying machine operators of laser metal powder bed fusion machines and equipment used in aerospace applications’.
- Candidates for this certification program are required to have operating experience on an EOS M 290 System. A minimum of six builds are required prior to this certification program.
- The ASTM certification is valid for 2 years. In order to maintain certification throughout the 2 year period, operators are required to operate a machine on a regular basis (at least once every 6 months).
- Candidates are required to provide evidence of visual acuity from a medical practitioner upon request with the following requirements:
- Near vision acuity (to be tested every two years)
- Color perception (to be tested every six years)
ASTM PBF-LB Machine Operator Certification is based on the ISO/ASTM 52942:2020 standard
Content of Theoretical Assessment:
- Equipment and processes
- Material handling
Content of Practical Assessment
- Setup of Powder Bed Fusion - Laser Beam (PBF-LB) systems
- Monitoring and managing of the manufacturing process
- Preparing PBF-LB parts for post-processing
- Operator maintenance of PBF-LB systems
- Advanced skills, if performed by the machine operator
For more information on the assessment topics, refer ISO/ASTM 52942-2020 standard.
- EOS Excellence Center at Novi, MI*
- At your location for up to 4 participants. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
*Certification will be carried out with min 3 and max 4 participants per day.